Think Around the Constraint of Time
Let's face it, time is one of our most cherished assets and also one of the smallest assets we possess. The challenge lies in finding a way to capitalize on what little time we have as business owners.
A quick tip to make the most out of a networking moment. In this instance, the networking activity is a presentation from a company in the Bio-Technology Industry:
Assume you know nothing about how a polymer reacts to a DNA strand filled with bio-nucleic acid. Now, assume you are listening to a 3 hour presentation on the entire subject. In the back of your mind you're thinking 'none of this pertains to me.'
Truth is, that presentation does pertain to you. The trick is to look beyond the boundaries of the information and find a way to create value from your time. Here are some questions to ask yourself during that presentation:
- Who do I know that isn't here that could benefit from knowing this company?
- Who do I know that would make a good strategic introduction to this company?
- Who is in the audience that I haven't yet introduced myself too?
- Who would the presenter know that may be able to benefit my business?
- What is the presenter doing good/bad that I can learn from for my own presentations?
The fact of the matter is, there are opportunities surrounding each and every one of us. It's up to us (and us alone) to look on the edges of mainstream activity to take advantage.