Why college students need LinkedIn profiles
This post is an open letter to college students of all ages: If you aren't on LinkedIn yet, get out there and set up an account today. Here are a few reasons why:
- Previous employers, co-workers and professors can recommend you, and these recommendations are attached to your public profile/resume. How powerful is that? Potential employers can then check your references and follow up efficiently.
- By posting your resume online, you're expanding your own "reach." Why limit yourself to a few pieces of paper buried under dozens of resumes in an HR office?
- Employers will look you up online. It's better to have content waiting for them, instead of nothing at all.
- Having a LinkedIn presence shows you're serious about getting hired. I'm always impressed by the college students who have taken the initiative to build out a LinkedIn profile, over their peers who haven't.
- This also establishes that you know a little bit about social networks - knowledge that many employers are looking for right now.