Connect with humans or be abducted by aliens
Though time management has been a focus for the past few posts on the Life-Work Balance page here at www.iowabiz.com, I’d like to segue into a study and discussion about the importance of relationships and human connections.
We all have a need to connect with people in our personal and professional roles. It is core to the human race -- and what separates mankind from alien.
There are several reasons most of us earthlings fall short in connecting with others:
- Lack of time. Connecting takes time! We don’t have “beam me up, Scotty” kinds of technology to get us from A to B... yet.
- Selectiveness and Authenticity. With whom should we be connecting, and how do we maintain authenticity? “Take me to your leader!” isn’t the most effective approach for human connections.
- Methods to expand networks. The extraterrestrial method is greedy and seeks to steal natural resources. The human method is the go-giver kind.
- Online overwhelm. With no social media strategy or discipline in place, one can be captured by the online alien space ship, never to return to planet earth.
- Contact management tools and habits. There are so many gadgets to organize our contacts! And plenty of advice to increase the habits necessary for keeping relationships healthy.
This blog series will explore these challenges from three different perspectives:
- the large corporation
- the small business and entrepreneur
- the individual
In what ways do you struggle to grow and maintain relationships, given your limited time? I’m counting on you to share your challenges and contribute online and offline resources for this discussion and continuing blog series. Then, together we can live long and prosper!