- Katie Patterson is the Owner/Founder at Happy Medium.
At Happy Medium, culture is a top priority for us. We not only think of it as an integral part of how we hire new employees but we work really hard to ensure that we are emulating an amazing culture on a daily basis. In this blog, I want to share what culture at Happy Medium means to us, some things we’ve learned along the way, our company values, and some feedback from the rest of the team on what the importance of strong work culture means to them.
WHAT CULTURE MEANS TO US:
We think culture is one of the most important pieces to a successful company. When specific focus is given to the happiness and well-being of a team, the outcome is a bright one. When you give to your employees they give back to the company. It’s really that simple. This starts at the hiring process and trickles all the way to the CEO of the company; everyone has to be a culture fit. Hiring based solely on skill is going to cost you a lot of time, money and unhappy employees. Don’t believe that’s the case? Check out a couple favorite articles here and here.
WHAT WE’VE LEARNED ALONG THE WAY:
- Nothing can ever be perfect and sometimes you have to roll with the punches. Striving to be the best is admirable, but being rigid and disappointed with anything less does not help.
- Our Culture Team and I have both been hyper aware of everything going on in the office, trying to get a read on everyone and their situation. This has really helped us avoid issues before they turn into bigger issues. It also shows us what works and what doesn’t (this is especially helpful when we’re working on implementing something new in the office).
- Communication is key.
- Onboarding is crucial to the success of a new employee.
- Failure is always going to happen, but we’ve learned to fail quickly so it doesn’t have as big of an impact on everything else that's going on.
- We’ve got to keep culture top-of-mind all the time. We reward people for going above and beyond, ring a bell when a new website launches, talk about wins (both professionally and personally) in our weekly and monthly meetings, and are constantly incorporating our values in our day-to-day life. These things help remind people who we are and why we work so hard every day. One of our values is happiness and we want to make sure everyone feels that way.
OUR COMPANY VALUES:
We recently sat down and defined our company values. These values are at the core of everything we do. I think it’s imperative that a company with any number of employees has a defined set of values. It has opened up some great team conversation and helped to make the whole HM Team think about if we’re living and breathing all of our values on a daily basis. Company culture exists whether you define it or not, so to ensure that everyone is on the same page and working towards the same goals, you have to put those values into words. Take the feeling of working somewhere every day and write it down.
Having a core set of values can also help with hiring decisions and ensure that you are hiring the right people every time. These are the four values that we live and breathe here at Happy Medium:
A strong work culture is essential for me and has always been a top priority since starting the company. What fun things go on around your office? Give us a shout, we love to hear new ideas!
Katie Patterson is the Owner/Founder of Happy Medium, a full service interactive advertising agency based in Des Moines. Follow her on Twitter - @_klpatterson